And conversely, I’ll always publish love! :-)
Let’s see. Why do I like Rose Tyler… We’ll assume she’s a real person for the sake of this post…
1. She’s compassionate: she gives a Dalek a conscience and she’s always looking after people (e.g. Gywneth, Toby, Elton), even enemies like Cassandra.
2. She doesn’t back down and she never gives up: on other people and on the Doctor (“You don’t just give up. You don’t just let things happen. You make a stand. You say “no.” You have the guts to do what’s right when everyone else just runs away" / "how could I leave him all on his own, all the way down there? No, I’m going to stay”)
3. She grows so much during her time with the Doctor. She’s little more than a child at the beginning; a brave, smart, compassionate child, but still developing, still learning her place in the world. And by the end of series one she’s a Goddess, and by season 4 she’s crossing universes to save it (and, of course, to get back to her Doctor)
Just these three things are enough for me to like her as a person (and of course, reason zero will always be ‘because she’s a person and almost every person is deserving of love or at least respect. We all have our weaknesses and foibles, our phases of immaturity and selfishness, but these do not make us any less deserving of love). But two major, major reasons I write about her and gif set her etc. are because of the following:
4. She makes the Doctor better. And not just better in his psyche; she makes him a better person. She stops him from shooting the Dalek and she holds his hand. And this is canon, btw: “And you made me better" (Journey’s End)
5. THE DOCTOR LOVES HER. And that’s enough for me.